Thursday, September 20, 2012

Why I'm Interesting - or Why I Was Interesting

I guess what's interesting about me is I am from Fort Lauderdale, grew up in the area first and remember it well, though I was only up to age 5. So, when we lived in Northeastern Florida, it was more urban, still "Florida," the east coast. There was a girl from L.A. who'd be like the most famous girl in the world, born 4 months after me. She had white hair and blue eyes and looked very good. Funny thing I guess no one liked her because she was younger. She didn't want to be my friend. My hair got much lighter that year, but I moved away and it wasn't the same. So, I connected to her well. I had spoken with her. The only time she came up to me was to borrow a pen. That year was so cool in the end, 1997-1998, not sure why. Oh, yes, my brother's class, I used to help out with. When they went to music class, they said hi to me and I waved back. That was neat. I think that's why I said that thing to my dad, but I wonder why I didn't write back to my cousin.

So, that girl like guided the class. She was new. I had been there for 2 years prior. I feel all L.A.-ed but that it's because I'm from Southwestern and Northeastern Florida.

I think I was pretty interesting when I was a very young girl, too. When my brother was born, though, my hair was cut to my shoulders and then I wasn't interesting. I grew it longer as almost a pre-teen or when I hit puberty.

It seems my life has always been about if I get an attitude since my brother was born or maybe before that I wasn't in line. However, I experienced a deep cut of racism that others don't have to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment